NEW Opportunity!! Community Mini Grant
pick up the application at the clubhouse or call 812-797-6000 for more information! (applications due May 15th and October 15th)
Founded 1914 - Incorporated 1931
Colors - Green & White
Flower - Carnation
Meetings - First Monday of Month, February through December
Mackinaw Woman's Club, Inc.
310 E. Jamet
PO Box 356
Mackinaw City, MI 49701
The Mackinaw Woman's Club is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit,
tax exempt charitable organization registered with the State of Michigan.
We donate to local organizations which promote education, literary, music, art, cultural, and similar endeavors as part of our philanthropic program.
The purpose of this club shall be "to create an organized center of action among women for cooperation in literary, educational and philanthropic work;
for the study thereof, and for general culture,
for the promotion of practical interest in science, art,
literature, and music for the betterment of Mackinaw.
We have also contributed to "Closeup," the program which enables
a high school class to travel to Washington, D. C.,
to see our government in action,
including our state representatives and senators.
These students overwhelmingly name this project
as their most important and interesting
in their final comments as graduating seniors.
The club awards a scholarship annually to a graduating senior,
whom we consider has participated in community events,
has been involved in community service,
displays a record of balanced overall activity in academics
and athletics, and a high GPA, as well as a goal of realistic values
for his or her future. This scholarship is the result of
our investment in the Mackinaw Woman's Club Fund
in the Straits Area Community Foundation,
which supports grants for Cheboygan County and Mackinaw City.
This award is the "Lucy Gridley Award," (a true Mackinaw Woman!)
who was the daughter of an early past president, Luella Jackson.
Annually we have two major fund-raisers - a 4th of July outdoor
Strawberry Social on the Marina Lawn, and the Mackinac Island Swim the second Sunday in August - from which the proceeds
allow us to contribute to several worthy
causes and organizations.
Versiti Blood Centers
Mackinaw Chamber of Commerce's "Music in Mackinaw" Program
Mackinaw City Area Arts Council
Mackinaw Area Public Library
Mackinaw Area Public Schools (Special Needs and School Supplies)
Mackinaw Area Public Schools Close Up Trip (every other year)
Mackinaw Band Boosters
Mackinaw Area Historical Society
Mackinaw Straits Raptor Watch
Diane Peppler Women's Resource Center, Sault Ste. Marie
Straits Area Food Pantry
We have a long list of requests for other donations,
which is rotated on an annual basis, as we are able.
We also hold smaller fund-raisers such as bake sales,
plant sales, occasional rummage sales, craft items, etc.
to supplement our income as needed to provide
maintenance and upkeep of our clubhouse.
We publish a quarterly newsletter, the "Tattler,"
to keep members informed of what we, as a club,
have accomplished and what plans are ahead
for the future of the club.
We established this web site to dispense information.
The address is www.MackinawWomansClub.org.
Every May we hold a Past Presidents Dinner to honor our past presidents
and review our long-established history from 1914 to the present.
We also participate in the annual "Grand Parade"
just before the "Fort Michilimackinac Pageant Re-enactment"
over Memorial weekend.
In the 6 months of February, March, April, June,
October, and November, we try to present programs
of various interests with speakers whose expertise helps
to educate and inform the members on timely subjects.
Some of these are presented in local restaurants,
or in our own clubhouse. Occasionally, the club as a whole
may take a field trip to a particular destination.
January is a vacation month. In September
we will have a soup, salad,or sandwich luncheon
at the clubhouse and enjoy either a program,
or play games, or just socialize.
In December, we celebrate with a Christmas party
for the members before we close our club year.
This has been either a potluck at the clubhouse,
or dinner in a local or area restaurant.
While we are serious about what we accomplish,
we are a fun-loving group, but we do not sit around
constantly with our "pinkie" fingers in the air
as we occasionally have a cup of tea.
We enjoy the company of our sister members
as we chat over refreshments provided by our hostesses
following programs, and we laugh with great gusto.
Mackinaw Woman’s Club
2023 and ongoing accomplishments
1. Welcomed new members
2. Yearly Blood drives and exceeded set goals
3. Created a community grant program, awarded three local projects, stove for the library, sidewalk project at Heritage Village and provided supples for life skills experienes at Mackinaw High School.
4. Support the Mackinaw City Area Art Council
5. Baked cookies and helped the chamber with Christmas Lighting ceromony.
6. Participated in the Memorial and Christmas parades!
7. Raised funds from annual plant sale
8. Stocked purses with needed supplies to be given to needy women.
9. Maintain and stock the Little Free Library that is at the clubhouse.
10. Donated $100 to Chebogan and Emmet Counties American Rosie the Riveter Association to help fun out reach programing.
11. Gave $500+ scholarship to Mackinaw City High School Students
12. Support members who are shut ins.
13. Strawberry Social raised $1,200
14. Provided craft items for library’s summer reading program
15. Participated in Historic Village Festival
16. Held two meetings in clubhouse backyard
17. Baked 600 cookies and volunteered for Mackinac Island Swim Event
18. Received $13,000 from swim event
19. Donated volunteers to help various programs at the Mackinaw Area Public Library.
20. Welcome Bags for new residents.
21. Fieldtrip meetings are planned to create memories and to educate.
22. Book club established
23. Updated electrical in the basement
24. Installed motion lights at entrance
25. Jon Vos volunteered to remove the exhause tube from kitchen.
26. New water heater
27. Pictures and frames were donated from Nan Kneck's late husband's collection.
28. Clubhouse landscaping updated
29. Participated in Trunk or Treat
30. Repaired and mounted a donated bookshelf,
31. Removed exhaust pipe in the kitchen, repaired roof and ceiling.
32. New blinds and curtians for the clubhouse.
33. Donated to five nonprofits with profits from swim event:
a. Church of the Straits Food Pantry
b. Diane Peppler Resource Center
c. Mackinaw Area Public Library
d. Mackinaw Public School Life Skills activities.
e. Mackinaw Area Historical Society
34. Provided cookies for chamber of commerce events.
35. Guest speakers are invited to membership meetings
36. Christmas party was attended by 17 members
37. Donna Falor our treasuer researches and finds the best investments.
38. Members volunteer to read to residents at Pincrest Village.
39. The Mackinaw Woman’s Club reconginzes past presidents yearly.
40. Made and sent Valentines cards and candy to the residents at Pine Crest.